Monday, December 2, 2013

Katakana Literary Work (Final)

[Link]

Since I made an advertisement for a stereo component, I used katakana mainly to push a "cutting edge" or "modern" image.  Since being up-to-date is important in electronics/appliances/etc, anything that will make the reader believe that you are modern is probably helpful, even if it has only a very minimal effect.  It was easy to include katakana in this advertisement because so many music-related words exist in Japanese as loan words, even when there's an equivalent native Japanese word.  Sound effects are also music-related and are written in katakana - though I wasn't really sure how to write a musical sound since the only examples of written sound effects I can think of are the ones we went over in class, so I just guessed.
Since my advertisement is a couple sentences rather than standout words or phrases, I was cautious about using katakana to write words which are normally written in hiragana or kanji even though some of the advertisements people used as examples did this as an eye-catching measure.  I thought it might look strange in the middle of a sentence or a paragraph, and would be more distracting than eye-catching.  Instead I decided to use loan words over their native equivalents (ミュージック instead of 音楽 for instance) because I thought it might look more natural.  I'm not sure if the other route would have been better, though!

2 comments:

  1. こんにちは、マイケルさん。
    おげんきですか。
    By the way, I did Amy's ice cream work in the class and what I made as an art work was ice cream corn with cut fruits. This is what my idea is below. And I'd be appriciate if you give some comments of this.

    The project of Amy’s ice cream

    Hi. My name is Natsuka Kiyama. I would like to work at Amy’s Ice Creams. The reasons why I want to work here is that I like how you guys run this company in terms of the strategy of selling ice cream and how people enjoy their work on their shift.
    Here is what I brought with my application. This is what I want to produce if I was hired. As you see, it is ice cream with cut fruits on it. I recommend you should make ice cream with the topping of some small cut fruits so that people can see what they actually eat. you could also put some chocolate chips on the fruits. That would be delicious!
    I am a very friendly person and a hard worker and also, I am very easy to work with. Besides, I would be creative enough to come up with unique and awesome products. And what is more, I am talkative so that I can talk to costumers and get their opinions easily.
    For these reasons, I would like to work here very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,マイケル!
    Thanks all of you for the evaluations to our Amy's projects and I enjoyed reasing you guys' comments and it was very interesting.

    Thank you again for having conversation with me here and it was queit fun to exchange comments each other.
    Good luck with your Japanese and hope you enjoy visiting Japan again in someday!
    Take care.

    なつか

    ReplyDelete